Use Color Codes Rather than Color Names
Seventeen standard colors have been defined in HTML and CSS. For the greatest cross-browser accuracy, though, it is better to refer to all colors by their color codes rather than by their names.
Ensure sufficient color contrast between text and background.
- Ensure color contrast of at least 4.5:1 for small text or 3:1 for large text, even if text is part of an image.
- Large text has been defined in the requirements as 18pt or 14pt bold.
Color Contrast Analysis Tools
- Luminosity Colour Contrast Ratio Analyser — a web-based tool by Juicy Studio.
- Color Contrast Analyzer — a web-based tool by Colors on The Web.
- FireEyes — a web accessibility analysis add-on for Firefox by Deque.
- WAVE — an online web accessibility tool by WebAIM.
- Web Accessibility Toolbar — a web accessibility analysis add-on for Internet Explorer by The Paciello Group.