The CMS interface is comprised of several important elements:
- The blue global navigation bar at the top of the screen.
- The silver secondary navigation bar at the top of the screen located below the global navigation bar.
- The page specific controls below the secondary navigation bar.
- The expandable file navigation sidebar located on the left-hand side of the screen.
- The main content area located in the middle of the screen, which is specific to the menu item chosen.
- The expandable gadgets sidebar located on the right-hand side of the screen.
Global Navigation Bar
The blue global navigation bar located at the top of the screen is universal to all screens and includes drop-down menus that provide access to additional functions. The functionality includes access to creating, editing, uploading, reviewing, and managing content on a staging server so that it may be published on a production server as a public-facing website or sites. For more on staging and publishing, please visit Staging vs. Published.
Depending upon the user's authority level and access settings, various menus and menu items are available. The main navigation consists of the following:
- Dashboard: Includes access to each individual user’s Overview homepage, Workflow, and Inbox. The Dashboard is the default location when a user has not logged in via a Direct Edit link on a page.
- Content: The Content menu includes access to the Pages list view (the list of pages you have created for your site), Assets, Snippets, and the Recycle Bin.
- Reports: Provides access to administrative-level reporting and content management functionality.
- Add-Ons: Provides access to additional resources such as KaratEmail, COPE, CMS Help, Web and Digital Communications, and Support Requests.
- User Avatar, or Gravatar, and User Name: Allows users to edit their personal settings or log out of OU Campus.
- Help: Help menu items include information about the system as well as access to the Support Site.
Secondary Navigation Bar
The silver secondary navigation bar is located directly underneath the global navigation bar, and includes a breadcrumb providing the location path of where you are located within the site. Also located on this navigation bar is the Sites drop-down, which allows a user to switch to other sites he or she may have access to. The Sites drop-down may also be used to search for a site to switch to.
Page Specific Controls
This navigation bar contains page specific controls. These will change based on the page’s status and what is being displayed in the main content region.
File Navigation Sidebar
The file navigation sidebar is one of two sidebars available on each screen. The file navigation, located on the left, can be manually collapsed or expanded.
To collapse, click the left-pointing arrow.
To expand, click the folder icon.
The file navigation sidebar allows for users to easily browse through pages, files, and directories within the website, as content can be accessed by clicking on the link. This also allows for users to navigate through the structure of the site without leaving the page they are currently viewing. More complex tasks such as checking out and deleting files can be performed in the main Pages view.
There are two tabs on the file navigation sidebar: Pages and Assets. Status indicators and file icons indicate the status of a particular piece of content as well as the file type.
The Keep Synced (lock icon) can be used to synchronize the list within the sidebar with where the user is in the site structure. For example, if the Keep Synced icon is activated, a user navigating through a site's file structure would see the file navigation sidebar change to match the user's location within the site. Without the Keep Synced icon activated, the file navigation sidebar will remain static, only changing views when a user manually navigates through the sidebar itself.
Main Content Area
The main content area of every screen is specific to the feature or functionality corresponding to the menu item that the user has chosen. For example, Dashboard displays links and gadgets and Content shows the Pages list view.
The gadgets sidebar is the second of two sidebars available on each screen. The gadgets sidebar can be configured to include specific system and customized gadgets that can be utilized to help edit and manage content. Located on the right, the gadgets sidebar can be manually collapsed or expanded.
To collapse, click the right-pointing arrow.
To expand, click the gadgets icon.
Users can choose which gadgets to show and hide on the sidebar by clicking the settings icon.
Please visit Further Reading in order to understand some of the major concepts in the CMS.